POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Learning about Proximity patterns : Re: Learning about Proximity patterns Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:13:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Learning about Proximity patterns
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 9 Dec 2008 04:10:00
Message: <web.493e356091f0b832d5b77e4a0@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
> Though I already replied so second reply:
> Yes Bill, with your mesh macros you can do the same averaging in certain
> cases before applying the pattern to the mesh to get some similar
> weathering effects.  Here I jitterd and averaged the radial pattern that
> was used to get the fluting in the column to get a weathered look, then
> applied it to the mesh.

Yes, of course. I remember thinking this looked good but I couldn't immediately
see why (compared with my experiments). Once I know what to look for, I can see
it. I hadn't thought of jittering the source pattern either, my quick test above
is derived from just the base shape, which is why it doesn't quite look right.

For even greater realism, I must also experiment with Sam's fastprox macro,
since it appears to only require a simple patch to make it work with meshes.

*rubs hands with enthusiasm*